EwA's Secret Lair

Game development tips and random musings of The Psychotic EwA

Monday, July 03, 2006

I hate GDC
....a random musing

GDC is the "Game Development Club" in my university that I joined.


I hate to say it, but the club is getting more problematic than what I've expected this year.
Without any enthusiasm or response from members, its slowly dying out.

From what I've heard from other people(since I cant go to the meetings in Cyberjaya), the new High Committee are comprised of people who don't want to join but are assigned posts by the last year's president, John. (Heard a rumor that the new president is John's girlfriend,but I'm not sure)


I cant say that John's move is bad (seeing that he wants to save the club from dying), but this creates an even bigger problem, letting go of the 'soul' of the club.

Not only choosing an entire High Committee without an open election is constitutionally wrong in the university's society and club rules, it beats the purpose of having a club or society.

A club or society is suppose to be a gathering of people of similar interest. Most of the clubs and societies in MMU fit this archetype. GDC is suppose to be the same.


We are not living FOR the club, but the club is suppose to live FOR us.


If there are less members or the current members are less enthusiastic about the club,

I say we should do what we can, promoting the club while holding activities to foster togetherness among club members. It doesn't matter if other people (non-club members) doesn't know our existance, as long as we're active with our own activies, it fulfill the purpose of the club.

When I help out ITS(IT SOCIETY) with their IT Blast events, I participate in Linux seminars, new technologies talk, held discussions with IT faculty. I basically enjoy myself being an IT student.

I always care about catering to the game dev community in the unversity. Our activities aren't suppose to be mainstream anyway :D

My last event that I organized for GDC, "The Masquerade" was suppose to foster game design (for those who participate as working committees and as side characters) and creativity by having a live-action RPG(role playing game) with players actually "role-play" their characters, its also to promote 'having fun together' within GDC members; instead most who joined weren't even GDC members and they're mostly friends of the working committees.

A total failure I must say. T_T


And the money in the club's bank account, it's keep adding up without being used.

I just hope it get used sooner or later, maybe to sponsor an event so that we don't have to keep charging people to join our events.



.................


I really do need to shut up, I never care much about the club anyway, the way things have been...
I've prioritize my studies more than actually being active with GDC.
for me GDC always is no. 2 , even thought I want to do a lot of game development activities,
assignments and exams always gets in my way T_T
well, just have to wait and see what will happen in the next AGM

well, enough screaming...
Jya Ne


============================

0 Secret Messages:




-----------

Post a Comment

<< Home